Thursday, September 6, 2007

Five Easy Pieces



It's only one sleep till we head into the studio to start cutting our new record. Tentatively titled 'Five Easy Pieces for Piano and Guitar', we're hoping to have it all finished in a couple of weeks for a late January release.

I can't believe how nervous I've been all week. All my thoughts are concentrated on this recording. It is that incredible mix of nerves and excitement which makes you go over things in your mind a million times, like which guitar should I use on which song ... or should I take a towel to the studio in case I want to wash my face ... or who is going to make lunch while we're in the studio. These are all such silly thoughts, but I wonder if this is how famous bands felt before their first few recordings.

Anyway, the most daunting thing I had to do was finish the words to one of the songs we are going to record. It is the song I talked about a couple of posts ago (My Life Flashing Before My Eyes). Musically, this was probably the quickest song I've ever written and Dan and I have been tinkering with the music for several weeks. But other than the first two lines that I mentioned, I've been really stuck with the words. For the last few days I've been sweating over them, and I've at least got some words for each part. I'm not that happy with them (some are way too corny), but I thought that I could post them here and then if anyone had any better ideas for parts they could suggest them... It could be a communal act of nostalgia. So here goes nothin':

September Song

I remember when you passed unto the Lord
I was working ten till four at the video store
You whose generous fruits were savaged with pain
I know on that day you marched with the saints

So I drove to your side at 109
It was as fast as my car would go without leaving the road
Listening all the way to community radio
While two fools went on and on
I just wished they'd play another song

I got there just in time to see my Aunt all bleary eyed
And my brothers and sisters as they started to arrive
As we measured your life in Swan Gold and the shedding of tears
Because all words hung frail in the fluorescent hospital air

So we talked of how you walked so slowly round the shops
Of how you used to use a shopping trolley for a crutch
As your poem left the earth on the flickering bow
Of a silent spring wind whispering 'where to now?'

But I don't know who we are anymore
Who we are anymore

Your last years were a labour but you wore them like a martyr
Till one day your knees finally gave out asunder
'Neath all of the weight that your old Scottish shoulders could bear
As you gathered your flock 'round the buffet of your life
Of every joy you had saved, every cent set aside
For a time when we needed it most, well we needed you now

But I don't know who we are anymore
Who we are anymore

------------------------------



So please be savage and give me any suggestions that you have...

1 comment:

old boot said...

I like the lyrics ... no savagery or criticism from me today.

I hope that things went well at the studio yesterday: that you were tight, inspired and productive. And enjoyed yourselves. Same again for today.